Tuesday, September 30, 2003

Monday the 29th September

I love my friend James so much. He spent the last year telling me to watch a film called “Waking Life” by Richard Linklater. I have now seen most of it and enjoyed it more than my limited vocabulary can express. It is animation over film. It is about philosophy and life. It is stunning. The world is in constant motion, the backgrounds shift, the foreground merges into shapes, people fly. I tried watching it with one of my friends, but bless him he didn’t understand much of it – how arrogant does that sound? But it is true, he didn’t.

Whereas I spent three years at Uni studying many of the ideas and issues that the characters talk about, so I was halfway there. To anyone not interested in philosophy or life or the human spirit this film will be lost, they’ll call it boring and just talking – “not very exciting is it”. These people though could never understand the feeling of knowing that other people think the same way as them.

No comments: