Tuesday, September 09, 2003

It's gonna take time, a whole lot of Precious Time.

I've just had an epiphany. Well, i had it whilst urinating at work. Not on my desk or in the office, in the toilet. I thought about the last girl i had been trying to impress. At some stage i ended up with a guitar in my hands. As is ever the way, people always say "Play something we can sing". And i always fail miserably to recall anything they'd know. Usually because i don't actually know what they know and people are oddly reticent to suggest.

What i did in front of one of my old school friends, whom i recently met up with - partly the thanks must go to Friends Reunited, but it was before i'd paid my fiver. So Hah! I put 2 and 2 together i.e. saw which company he worked for then checked their website for the way his company write their email address. Voila! Anyway, what i did was played his acoustic guitar, i played a couple of my own songs. He sat awestruck (maybe too strong a word, bemused maybe) he really dug it though. When his mate came round for a bit, he made me play it to him too.

My epiphany, you see. Is that i don't do it in front of the peole i really want to impress. Now, don't get me wrong, i was as keen to impress my old friend as i would be to impress you. (whoever you are) But i didn't do it in front of a girl.

I've heard people like Billy Joel talk about how he pulled women by playing the piano. I am an artist. People should only have to understand me through my art. Or rather, i think i'd prefer people to understand me through my music, instead of by talking to me. The more time i spend in the company of women, the more i talk. The more i talk, the less attractive i become. Whereas, the music i create is something people like. Some of my lyrics are as anti-capitalist ranty, as some of my thoughts and beliefs. Yet, these are conveyed with music and my voice's approximation of a tune. Perhaps they don't listen to what i say. I don't half the time.

Now what was i saying?

No comments: